Friday, January 2, 2009

Trying to Find My Way

I've spent the greater part of my day taking advice from the fabulous Donna Maria Coles Johnson of indiebusinessblog.com (only one of her sites)! She gives her "predictions" for 2009 which include social networking. Oh great. My favorite. I get confused on MySpace!

I've signed up for twitter, facebook, etc. I've counted 21 sites where I have staked my claim to "SeattleScents". I can't go through life being known as "SparklePuss", can I?! Though it hurts me emotionally to even contemplate "twitting" all day, at least I have an account, that's my first step!

When I named my soy candle company SparklePuss in 2005 I just did not realize what I was doing! I was thinking about the things I like...glitter, glitz and kitties. Geesh. At our first craft fair I asked my husband why the guys would pass by real close to the table but walk away chuckling. Geesh. I can be saavy sometimes and very naive other times!

So in finally deciding that my identity is going to be Seattle Scents vs makeScents LLC (until I change my mind!!) it was time to join the indie beauty sites. I'm currently a junior apprentice member of indiebeauty.com.

Then the realization. Am I good enough? Professional enough? Unique enough? PRETTY enought!?! All of a sudden I feel petrified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I admire all these wonderful people who have launched themselves and look so good out there in the magazines, blogs and news. Will I ever be there?


Some of my heroes:
Deb at Soapylove.com
Teri at Body-Systems.net
David at TheBubbleRoome.com
Anne-Marie at Brambleberry.com
Jamila at TheECommerceDiva.com


I want to make a splash...but not the awkward cannonball gone sideways type of splash. I want a gorgeous, sleek, calculated dive from 10 feet up. I think I have it in me, but now I'm not so sure. I feel really small in their company.

0 comments :